Saturday, May 22, 2010

Hawaii Elects Djou

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) – Republican Charles Djou won the special election for Hawaii's First Congressional District. The Honolulu City Councilmember grabbed 39% of the vote. State Senate president Colleen Hanabusa came in second with 30% of the vote. Former US Representative Ed Case came in third, gathering 27% the vote.

The results were as follows.

Charles Djou 39.5%

Colleen Hanabusa 30.8%

Ed Case 27.6%

The results are unofficial. As of 1:30 PM Saturday, 163,000 ballots were received, representing 51% of registered voters.

Djou will be the first Republican to represent Hawaii in Congress since Pat Saiki, who served from 1986-1990. He will have to begin campaigning again almost immediately, as the seat will be up for grabs again in the November general election.

3 comments:

jess said...

This is extremely historic night in Honolulu. Tonight Republican Charles Djou won our Special Election to send him to Congress. It is only the third time since Hawaii became a state that a Republican won a seat in Congress. I have been a fan of Djou for quite sometime and I am extremely happy that he is now going to be representing me in Congress. I just hope that he tackles issues in Washington like he tackled them here!

Josh H said...

This is also quite possibly the smartest thing the people of Hawaii have done to not only benefit their state but their country. It seems like every time a decision comes to better their state in some way (i.e. Superferry) they vote against it, lol Score one for the people of Hawaii in my personal opinion, although they have a long way to go to get out of the negatives, lol.

jess said...

Hopefully it will.. there has been so much in fighting among the democrats here they lost it for themselves. It will be an exciting election year because they are some great republican candidates running for office and its cool because Hawaii has an open primary so I can go and vote for the democratic that I believe the republican can beat.

I can't wait to see the media spin this win and already know what its going to be. Its going to be that he only won because the two democrats had to split the vote put it is quite clear what Hawaii wanted. I am so excited this is in the first time since I have been voting that my vote for Congress went my way!